How your pediatrician in Falls Church, VA, can help with ADHD
The most common behavioral disorder in children is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, commonly known as ADHD. The Child Development Institute states the main characteristics of ADHD as inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. Dr. Maria Sacoto at Sacoto Pediatrics in Falls Church, VA, provides a wide range of medical services for children, including diagnosis and treatment of ADHD.
ADHD is a condition which can be difficult for parents to recognize because it often mimics normal behavioral milestones like boundary testing and independence.
So, how can you tell if your child has ADHD? ADHD has several signs and symptoms for you to recognize, including frequent:
- Fidgeting or squirming
- Hand and foot movements or tapping
- Difficulty sitting still
- Running or climbing when inappropriate
- Excessive talking or blurting out
- Problems focusing on details
- Problems listening and following directions
- Disorganization and losing things
- Distraction and forgetfulness
If you notice any of the signs and symptoms listed above, it’s time for you to seek out the services of your pediatrician, who can screen for ADHD.
It’s important to determine if your child has ADHD because untreated ADHD can cause problems which can continue when your child becomes an adult. The problems associated with untreated ADHD can include:
- Difficulties in school, including poor grades and learning problems
- Issues with behavior, including belligerence, aggression, and bullying
- Problems with socialization, including difficulty making or keeping friends
- Difficulties at work, including lack of focus or concentration, and problems completing a task or project
ADHD treatment can include multiple types of therapies like these:
- Behavioral therapy, to minimize inappropriate behaviors
- Lifestyle modifications, to promote a healthy diet and exercise regimen
- Medication therapy, to improve brain function and sharpen focus and concentration
Your pediatrician can help your child with ADHD grow and develop into a healthy, focused adult. To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of ADHD, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Maria Sacoto at Sacoto Pediatrics in Falls Church, VA. You can reach her in the office by calling (703) 820-1951, so call today.