Wondering what happens at a well-child visit?
If you’re expecting and you’ve already decided that our Falls Church, VA, Spanish-speaking pediatrician Dr. Maria Sacoto and the team at Sacoto Pediatrics are a great fit for your growing family, we’re so excited to welcome your new addition. Since you’ll be bringing your baby home from the hospital and then visiting us about 3-5 days after, you may be wondering what to expect from your first pediatrician appointment. We’ve got you covered.
Why do I need to bring my baby in so soon?
Your baby is only a few days old, so why rush to see a pediatrician? These well-child visits are as much about the parents as it is about the newborn. Our Falls Church, VA, Spanish-speaking pediatrician understands that for many new parents, this is a brand new and often confusing journey. You may have questions about breastfeeding and sleeping or you may simply need help adjusting. This visit allows us to create a baseline of health for your little one and to also help you adjust to parenthood.
What should I expect from the first appointment?
Be prepared to fill out paperwork either online or when you come into the office regarding your baby’s health. We’ll probably also ask you questions about how you’re doing. Here are some things that will occur during your baby’s first wellness checkup,
- An intake nurse will ask you questions about your and your baby’s health. They’ll also ask about any questions or concerns you might have that you want to discuss with Dr. Sacoto.
- Vitals and measurements of your baby will be taken, which include height and weight, heart rate, respiration and temperature.
- Dr. Sacoto will make sure that your child’s development and growth with regards to height and weight are on track. She’ll also ask about feeding and sleep schedules to make sure your baby is getting enough to eat.
- A full physical examination will occur to look for any possible health concerns or developmental issues
- This first appointment is the best time to address any questions or concerns you might have. These appointments can be a whirlwind, so it’s best to write down your questions ahead of time and bring them with you to your appointment.
Are you looking for a Spanish-speaking pediatrician in Falls Church, VA? If so, Dr. Maria Sacoto provides Spanish-speaking pediatric care to children and teens of all ages and their families. If you need to schedule an appointment with the team at Sacoto Pediatrics, call (703) 820-1951 today.